The employee serves as a director for sustainable pavement engineering within NAPA’s Engineering, Research, and Technology area. The primary function of this position is to lead the development and execution of a national strategic initiative that promotes the sustainable attributes of asphalt pavements, informs membership of sustainable economic, environmental, and engineering practices to enhance industry performance, and supports the long-term interest of the asphalt pavement industry. The incumbent reports to and is expected to work closely with the Vice President – Engineering, Research, and Technology on engineering, technical and research issues related to the sustainability of asphalt pavements and the asphalt pavement industry. The employee is also expected to work closely with the Vice President – Environment, Health, and Safety and the Director of Pavement Engineering and Innovation on the environmental and societal impact of asphalt pavements. The employee will identify and develop programs that will assist the membership in meeting the technical challenges and demands of the future while ensuring and promoting the sustainability and resiliency of asphalt pavements. This individual will maintain positive working relationship with various groups, and manage and participate on NAPA Committees and Task Forces.
- Develop and manage NAPA technical programs for engineering and sustainability in association with the VP of Engineering, Research and Technology and other staff members.
- Lead the effort to develop programs to address sustainability and resiliency issues related to asphalt pavements and collaborate with NAPA membership to develop the overall sustainability plan.
- Develop and manage research projects and programs that investigate the engineering and environmental impact of asphalt pavements.
- Develop and manage research projects and programs regarding life-cycle assessment (LCA) of asphalt pavements in collaboration with the VP of Environment, Health, & Safety and the Director of Pavement Engineering and Innovation.
- Develop and manage research projects and programs that combine life-cycle cost assessment (LCCA) and LCA for pavements.
- Inform NAPA and NAPA members of various green construction standards and rating systems that may impact the pavement industry; interact with stakeholders to ensure asphalt pavements are credited appropriately.
- Serve as the NAPA staff expert for sustainability which includes monitoring emerging trends, programs and issues, and communicating and educating others on sustainability topics.
- Serve as the NAPA staff central point of contact about sustainability and related engineering and environmental issues. As necessary, collaborate with other subject matter experts and asphalt pavement industry representatives to ensure appropriate responses and communications.
- Formulate action plans with defined objectives, targets, and responsibilities to support agreed upon initiatives.
- Interface with government agencies and maintain constructive relationships with government and quasi-government bodies related to the industry’s position on sustainability and related matters. Collaborate with NAPA staff, e.g. VP of Engineering, Research, and Technology, the VP of Environment, Health, and Safety, and the Director of Pavement Engineering and Innovation, to ensure appropriate responses and communications.
- Aid NAPA’s technical educational and training program including publications, articles, and meetings/workshops. Plan and develop technical programs for annual and mid-year meeting, regional conferences and workshops, World of Asphalt, and webinars.
- Plan and develop technical literature for NAPA publications, articles, reports, and other communication methods. Review and provide technical input for development and revision of NAPA publications.
- Provide direct support and general administration of designated NAPA committees and task forces.
- Aid with the development of a green/sustainable practices component of the Diamond Achievement award and other awards.
- Provide technical support to the Asphalt Pavement Alliance regarding sustainability and engineering.
- Disseminate technical information to NAPA's membership. Make speeches to technical groups on asphalt pavement technology.
- Respond to member and non-member technical inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Represent NAPA on designated technical committees.